My girls have discovered a new game they love to play called Utter Nonsense. I wasn’t quite sure what to expect when this box of cards showed up, but it has been a blast with the ‘family edition’. Please note there is a ‘naughty version’ for adults only too.
Players get a silly accent card and combine that with silly phrases. Try to rap out “Don’t eat your boogers. Here, eat mine instead.” Or “If I think therefore I am, then I shall be Beyoncé.” Not easy, is it?
Utter Nonsense: Family Edition is recommended for ages 8+. We tried to include my son who is six, but it was hard to read the cards to him and then have him repeat the wording from a card with an accent. We have only used 4 players when playing this game, but it can be up to 20 players! The time needed is 30 minutes plus.
Rules of Play
- One player is labeled the Nonsense Judge. The box says to select the person deemed to have the stinkiest feet. 😉
- Then the Nonsense Judge deals 7 Phrase Cards to each player. One Accent Card is turned up from the top of that part of the deck and is visible to all players.
- Once the Accent Card is shown, players select one Phrase Card from their hand to say in the accent indicated.
- The Nonsense Judge decides which player’s phrase and accent is the funniest. That player then wins the round.
- The winning player retains that round’s Accent Card and becomes the Nonsense Judge for the following round.
- The first player to win 5 rounds wins the game.
Disclosure: I received a product sample for this review. No other compensation was received for this post.